The process of writing is a lot like skiing—for me.
- It takes practice, practice, practice—for years.
- I need lessons and critiques from experts.
- I make lots of mistakes and feel clumsy half the time.
- Sometimes it hurts—my body and my ego at risk.
- It’s frustrating.
- It’s extremely technical.
- It’s hard to remember everything I’m supposed to be paying attention to.
- It’s the most fun—ever.
- There are times when it’s absolutely, crazily, achingly sublime: when it all comes together, and I feel like I’m flying, that I can’t do anything wrong.
- I’ll never regret doing either.